The Lagos State Police Command yesterday said there would be no more kidnapping in schools following the destruction of over 200 camps hitherto operated by men of the underworld.
Acting Commissioner of Police, Mr. Imohimi Edgal, gave the assurance at a one-day workshop for stakeholders on the safety of pupils and members of staff of Model Colleges and upgraded secondary schools, organised by the state’s Ministry of Education.
He spoke on “The roles and expectations of security agencies in securing lives and properties in our Schools” at Adeyemi Bero Auditorium, Alausa, in Ikeja.
Lagos State Deputy Governor, Dr. Idiat Adebule, was guest of honour at the workshop which was held ahead of the 2017/2018 academic calendar scheduled for next Monday.
Imohimi, who was represented by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Mr. Bolaji Salami, said kidnapping was not peculiar to Lagos State or Nigeria.
He said the Command will deploy armed officers to some model colleges, especially schools in riverine areas so as to forestall kidnapping. Armed personnel will also provide 24-hour security at boarding schools.
Dr. Adebule said the state’s Special Task Force had been directed to embark on demolition exercise of all illegal shanties located around all public schools.
Adebule, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Mr. Adesina Odeyemi, said the workshop would sensitise stakeholders so as to prevent a recurrence of abductions in public schools as well as ensure pupils, staff are safe and secure.
She spoke on the theme of the workshop; “Towards a safe and secure learning environment.”
Adebule said: “The state Special Task Force has been directed to commence demolition of illegal structures and shanties built within the set-backs and environment of public schools beginning from next week.